Hi!

My name is Mellie, and I love Sydney. Actually, I would go as far as saying I am IN LOVE with Sydney!!! You see, I moved here from Brisbane just over a year ago to be with my wonderful boyfriend Chris, and to try out a new career path. As a newby in this big city I didn't really know the funky places to eat and drink, or where to find the best shopping, or all the different activities that Sydney has to offer. But over the last year I am making an effort to try and find them one by one!!! I have now made some great friends who I go on cultural outings and pay day drinks with, I go on delicious dinners and Sunday adventures with Chris, and spend Mellie time investigating secret walking tracks. Everytime I go somewhere new I think to myself, I wish someone had told me about this place. With this blog, I hope to share the places I go with you so you can fall inlove with this amazing city too!!! enjoy...







Saturday 9 July 2011

Pay day cocktails -Subsolo!!

Pay-day cocktails was an ingenious invention! After only a short period of time at my new work place, I was lucky enough to make some great girlfriends, however, because we work out in the wicked west and all live in and around Sydney, we only ever got to see each other at work! We all love nice food and wine (and cocktails) and wanted to try all the cool places in Sydney to eat and drink, and that is how pay day cocktails came about. The Rules: a) we (try) and meet once a month on pay day b) the venue must have some sort of cocktail special or happy hour and c) we never go the same place twice! After a few emails back and forth and a quick vote, Subsolo on King St in the City, was the pick for June!

Subsolo is a Spanish Tapas bar, they also have a little wine bar for drinks, but we decided to have pre-drinks at a  little underground bar around the corner that had Thursday $8 cocktails. I forget it's name, it wasn't wow, but wasn't bad, and served our purpose for some cheap but delish cocktails and some nibbles before the main affair. I was SUPER excited about trying Subsolo as I have heard such great things, and after a few cocktails we had left the underground bar and were walking into Subsolo. When I walked in the first thing that struck me was how busy it was for a Thursday night, it was packed! Not a spare seat (thank god we booked - note: make sure you book!). The next thing was the ambiance, I loved it, dimly lit with blood red hues, very Spanish and I was waiting for a bull to run out from the curtains at any minute!

I couldn't wait to see our seat and was massively disappointed when the waiter plonked the five of us lovely girls onto bar stools at a large share bench table (which would be fun for a few drinks) but not what I had in mind when I booked for dinner. But after a few words with the lovely waiter, he whisked us away to another cool table right down in the back corner with red curtains either side...perfect. The only down side was the noise level. The whole place was a buzz which added to the ambiance for me, but I could see how you could get annoyed if it was a romantic dinner for two!



As soon as we started trawling through the menu I forgot all about the background noise and could only think food! Subsolo is known not only for their amazing tapas but also the ESPETADAS (ridiculously large sticks of char grilled roasted meat). But we decided that because we had over-indulged with nibbles at our pre-dinner destination we would go with the tapas. All I can say is YUM YUM YUM. We got stuffed zucchini flowers, chicken chorizo and the most amazing potatoes bravas I have ever eaten (I am big on carbs and love my potatoes). But the highlight for me was definitely the dessert. How can you go to a Spanish restaurant without Churros! We decided to share Churros, and a chocolate fondant, and we couldn't have made better choices - we licked the platter clean! I have to say, as well as the great food, I really loved their selection of Spanish wines and beers. I usually always stick with the Aussie wines because I am used to the taste and enjoy them, but we ventured out and ordered a Spanish Pinot Grigio (sorry I forgot the name- too many cocktails) and it was very nice!

I have since found out that Subsolo is in our Entertainment Book, so I am definitely going back with Chris to try their Espetadas ....hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment